[ensembl-dev] Permission to provide a link of your published websites for our database.

Paul Flicek flicek at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 10:57:51 BST 2014

Dear Prof. M. K. Verma,

Thank you for your message and interest in the Ensembl data.

The terms of use of Ensembl data and code are summarised on the following page: http://www.ensembl.org/info/about/legal/index.html.  The EMBL-EBI terms of use also apply: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/about/terms-of-use.

You can see from these links that we do not place any license restrictions on the data that we produce although we do retain copyright. Our code is explicitly licensed using the Apache v2.0 license.  As noted, our databases may contain information that is subject to third-party constraints of various kinds and users of the Ensembl data and software are solely responsible for determining what these constraints are and complying with them.

Although we updated our permissive, open-source software license recently, the above Ensembl terms regarding use of the data have been unchanged since the start of the project 15 years ago.

I hope that you will incorporate our data into your resource as this type of usage is one of the reasons that Ensembl exists, but we will not be applying a Creative Commons (or any other license) to the Ensembl data as this would be either more restrictive than our current situation or confusing given the data that we provide.

If you have addition questions, please feel free to address them directly to me.

With best regards,

Paul Flicek
Ensembl Project Leader