[ensembl-dev] panic: sv_setpvn error on local setup

Dan Sheppard dan at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 11:55:11 BST 2014

Hi Julian,

It's hard to be definitive as I've not been able to reproduce thee
issue. I suspect it's some complex interaction of perl version, libc,
bit-width, etc, and we don't have a machine exactly matching your spec
readily available. The other possibility is that this error is masking
some deeper misconfiguration.

But, assuming that the bad sv_setpvn is from the caller() on the line
indicated in the error (and the perl RT suggests there's a history of
such dodgy practices in caller()), I think the best thing to do is to
effectively comment out that block of code, by changing the if(1) to
if(0) on line 122.

I've not had a chance to do the archaeology yet, but it looks like that
code is only there for debugging purposes. I've checked that this
doesn't immediately break the site via my sandbox, but caveat emptor.
Let us know how you get on and we can proceed from there.

Thanks for providing a detailed report, that helps enormously.

Dan.