[ensembl-dev] panic: sv_setpvn error on local setup

Julian Gutekunst j.gutekunst at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jul 29 16:27:57 BST 2014

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set up a local version of the Ensembl Website including a
local database structure with the intention of running the automated
annotation pipeline (Genebuild) and providing the Genome via the Ensembl
genome browser. So far, I followed the tutorial provided by the Ensembl
website and everything went more or less fine.
I have everything installed (every required module/library, apache,
perl, the website code, database structure, and even downloaded a genome
from the Ensembl database for testing).

Now, the problem I currently facing is when starting the Apache server
using the command:
/usr/local/apache2.2.27/bin/httpd -d /usr/local/ensembl/ensembl-webcode/

The Apache server tries to load all provided databases but crashes (at
random timepoints while loading) with the following error message:

Syntax error on line 152 of
/usr/local/ensembl/ensembl-webcode/conf/httpd.conf:
panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen -1 at
/usr/local/ensembl/ensembl-webcode/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/SpeciesDefs.pm
line 125.\n

This error was only once posted here, but there was never a definite
answer for fixing this problem. Since I've read somewhere that this
might be a Perl-related bug I also tested to run the website with
different versions of Perl (using perlbrew) but the error still appears.

Further details on my setup:
OS: openSUSE 13.1 (x86_64)
Perl 5.18.1
Apache 2.2.27