[ensembl-dev] Perl Version Upgrade

William Spooner william.spooner at eaglegenomics.com
Tue Jan 14 09:59:18 GMT 2014

Hi Andy,

We use Ensembl in much the same way as Ed describes, i.e. a tool in a
larger heterogenous pool. Although perl 5.8 is the 'officially' supported
Perl for Ensembl, we have successfully used the system perl on Ubuntu 10.04
and latterly 12.04 (i.e. Perl 5.14) . At some point Ensembl were bound to
update the 'official' Perl for all sorts of good reasons (performance,
security, features), and 5.14 seems like a good, stable, recent(ish)
version to decide on.

Best,

Will

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:46 PM, gray_ed <gray_ed at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  So 5.10 is the natural ceiling?

William Spooner, PhD
CTO and Founder
Eagle Genomics Ltd, Breathing Life into Big Data
Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge CB22 3AT, UK
T: +44 (0)1223 497371 | M: +44 (0)7779 663045
http://www.eaglegenomics.com
Disclaimer: http://www.eaglegenomics.com/about/privacy-statement/