[ensembl-dev] biomart down?

Thomas Maurel maurel at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Feb 15 21:01:38 GMT 2014

Dear Paul,

The BiomaRt package from Bioconductor is pointing to www.biomart.org by default (which seems to be down at the moment), could you please report this issue to the biomart.org user list (biomart-users at googlegroups.com) as we don't look after the biomart.org website.
In the meantime, you can change your host to ensembl.org to access out data by doing the following:
ensembl <- useMart(biomart="ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL", host="www.ensembl.org", path="/biomart/martservice")

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Thomas
On 15 Feb 2014, at 20:40, Paul Rigor <paul.rigor at uci.edu> wrote:

> That's odd. Both the website and webservices are unavailable. And from the biomart R package, I receive the following error message:
>
> > ensembl = useMart("ensembl",dataset="mmusculus_gene_ensembl")
> Request to BioMart web service failed. Verify if you are still connected to the internet.  Alternatively the BioMart web service is temporarily down.  Check http://www.biomart.org and verify if this website is available.
> Error: XML content does not seem to be XML:
>
> Anyone else encounter this issue? I should probably ping the BioConductor folks, but this was working until yesterday (Friday, 2/14/2014) afternoon.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>

> --
> Paul Rigor
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~prigor
> "What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning" ~ Werner Karl Heisenberg
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM, steve trevanion <st3 at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> It's also OK for me, as is the uswest mirror. What error message are you getting ?
>
> Steve
>
> On 15/02/14 17:39, Paul Rigor wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>> Unfortunately, it's still down =\
>> ~Paul
>>

>> --
>> Paul Rigor
>> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~prigor
>> "What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning" ~ Werner Karl Heisenberg
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Andy Yates <ayates at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> I've not seen anything wrong with it from here in the uk. Is it behaving better for you now?
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Sent from my tablet
>>
>> On 15 Feb 2014, at 01:22, Paul Rigor <paul.rigor at uci.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble accessing biomart? I'm attempting to access from southern California.
>>> Thanks!
>>> Paul
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paul Rigor
>>> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~prigor
>>> "What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning" ~ Werner Karl Heisenberg

Thomas Maurel
Bioinformatician - Ensembl Production Team
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SD