[ensembl-dev] empty values in variant_effect_predictor.pl

Michael Yourshaw myourshaw at ucla.edu
Wed Dec 3 16:49:34 GMT 2014

Hi Will—

I suspect this is an issue for many others, as well. For one thing, in a database table the dash requires what should be a numerical field to be treated like text.

 I deal with the dashes in post-processing, but as G says this can be a pain. Rather than users having to patch each new version of VEP, could you consider adding a new parameter so your code would look like

>         $output = join "\t", map {
>             (defined $line->{$_} ? $line->{$_} : (defined $extra{$_} ? $extra{$_} : $config->{empty_field_char}))
>         } @{$config->{fields}};

and allow -- empty_field_char with no argument to yield ‘’.

ॐ

Michael Yourshaw, PhD
UCLA Geffen School of Medicine
Department of Pediatrics
695 Charles E Young Drive S
Gonda 5554
Los Angeles CA 90095-8348 USA
myourshaw at ucla.edu <mailto:myourshaw at ucla.edu>
970.691.8299

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may constitute ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please do not read, copy, or forward this message or any attachments. Please permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments and notify the sender immediately by sending an email to myourshaw at yourshaw.org. Thank you. As part of our commitment to the environment, this message was manufactured with 100% recycled electrons.