[ensembl-dev] taxonomy database

Lel Eory lel.eory at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:25:44 BST 2014

Hello Developers,

Is it correct that the ncbi_taxonomy database generated via the
Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::PipeConfig::ImportNCBItaxonomy_conf pipeline?
Just to get the ncbi_taxonomy database would I need to add anything to
the ensembl-compara/scripts/taxonomy/ensembl_aliases.sql file (i.e. for
running the ImportNCBItaxonomy_conf pipeline)?
Also, can I update the database, or do I need to drop the "old" database
and re-run the pipeline when I want to get the most recent taxonomy
information?

For the compara master database I need to define the 'ensembl alias
name' and 'ensembl timetree mya' fields in ensembl_aliasese.sql file.
Should this file only contain this information on species (and
ancestrals) which are relevant for the compara pipelines? Will only the
relevant information be loaded?

Is there a script I can use to get the 'ensembl timetree mya' values, or
is it done manually from www.timetree.org?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Lel

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.