[ensembl-dev] bug in REST - GET sequence/id/:id

Lel Eory lel.eory at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 16:29:40 BST 2014

Hello Developers,

When I try to retrieve a genomic seq with REST (on Firefox 31) for an
ENSG ID it works OK with the following:

http://rest.ensembl.org/sequence/id/ENSG00000157764?content-type=text/plain;mask=soft

When I specify the type e.g. for cds like:
http://rest.ensembl.org/sequence/id/ENSG00000157764?content-type=text/plain;type=cds;mask=soft
I get an error:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Content-Type text/plain is not supported.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I change the content-type to x-fasta it returns with the expected
warning for multiple sequences:

http://rest.ensembl.org/sequence/id/ENSG00000157764?content-type=text/x-fasta;type=cds;mask=soft
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{"error":"Requesting a gene and type not equal to \"genomic\" can result
in multiple sequences. 4 sequences detected. Please rerun your request
and specify the multiple_sequences parameter"}

Specifying multiple_sequences=1 with 'content-type=text/plain' works as
expected, though.
http://rest.ensembl.org/sequence/id/ENSG00000157764?content-type=text/plain;type=cds;mask=soft;multiple_sequences=1

Thanks,
Lel

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.