[ensembl-dev] method to fetch 5' and /or 3' from a feature- ensembl variation

Nathalie Conte nconte at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 11:40:28 BST 2014

HI Kieron,
Thanks -
At the moment I am using the  get_nearest_Gene() from core-
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/core-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Feature.html#a8a7c8af129910c4daa088b87171b86a6
I receive a warning that this method is deprecated:
------------------ DEPRECATED ---------------------
Deprecated method call in file /net/isilon5/ma/home/nconte/src/ensembl/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Feature.pm line 1434.
Method Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::GeneAdaptor::fetch_nearest_Gene_by_Feature is deprecated.
fetch_nearest_Gene_by_Feature() is a deprecated method. Strand and stream implementations are unreliable. Please use with c
aution
Ensembl API version = 75

I have several questions please  -
When the next method you mentioned : feature/getnearestgene will be available? and will it fetch nearest 3' and 5' at the same time?
Will we be able to narrow the search to only protein coding genes rather than all genes?

Thanks
Nathalie