[ensembl-dev] VEP cache and local database

Michael Yourshaw myourshaw at ucla.edu
Thu Nov 14 22:56:40 GMT 2013

I normally use a local copy of the mySQL database to process large datasets. Some of my plugins make calls to the Ensembl database via the Perl API.

VEP runs normally without the cache.

I want to take advantage of some of the options available only through the cache, such as maf_esp, and possibly improve throughput, but still get everything not in the cache from the local database.

I have downloaded and installed the homo_sapiens_73 cache, and use these parameters:
	cache=1
	dir_cache=/scratch1/tmp/myourshaw/ensembl/.vep/
-—offline is not on

There are two problems when I turn on the cache.

First, some of my plugins get an error in Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::GeneAdaptor in the fetch_nearest_Gene_by_Feature sub at the line
	my $seq_region_id = $feat->slice->adaptor->get_seq_region_id($feat->slice);

The error is
	Can't call method "get_seq_region_id" on an undefined value at /share/apps/myourshaw/ensembl/ensembl/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/DBSQL/GeneAdaptor.pm line 1978.

Specifically, $feat->slice->adapter is undef

The call in my code that triggers this is:
sub run {
    my ($self, $bvfoa, $line_hash) = @_;
    if($bvfoa->isa('Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::RegulatoryFeatureVariationAllele')){
        my $feature = $bvfoa->regulatory_feature;
	# At this point, $feature->slice->adapter is undef and the next line fails
        my $nearest_genes = $config->{ga}->fetch_nearest_Gene_by_Feature($feature);
        my $gene = @{$nearest_genes}[0];
    }

Second, I get the following warning when VEP initializes. Is this related to the first problem? Should I be concerned?
	MSG: You are using the API without caching most recent features. Performance might be affected.
	FILE: EnsEMBL/DBSQL/BaseFeatureAdaptor.pm LINE: 76
	CALLED BY: Bio/EnsEMBL/Registry.pm  LINE: 1043
	Date (localtime)    = Thu Nov 14 11:52:27 2013
	Ensembl API version = 73

ॐ

Michael Yourshaw
UCLA Geffen School of Medicine
Department of Human Genetics, Nelson Lab
695 Charles E Young Drive S
Gonda 5554
Los Angeles CA 90095-8348 USA
myourshaw at ucla.edu
970.691.8299

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately. Thank you.