[ensembl-dev] [Ensembl-compara] Extracting orthologs proteins from multiple alignments

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 30 22:46:30 BST 2013

Dear Benjamin

Depending on the alignment, the answer may be different. Each of the
gene clusters that you extract actually map to a gene tree. In some
cases, each human gene may be in single copy in its mammal sub-tree, and
the trick is to partition the tree into sub-trees. In other cases, it
may have a lineage-specific paralog, and there should be several human
genes in the alignment.

In your specific example, the answer comes from the gene tree:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Compara_Tree?collapse=none;db=core;g=ENSG00000020577;r=14:55033815-55260033
You can see the two mammal sub-trees. Here, you can split the list of
genes in two groups, depending of their human orthologue. Each group
would have a single human gene.
This is confirmed by the Orthologues view. Each human gene has 1-to-1
relations to most of of the other mammal species.

I recommend getting the information from the gene trees directly. The
EMF file contains all of them. You can traverse them from their root and
look for the first non-duplication nodes that are below the last common
ancestor of your 18 species. All the leaves of the sub-trees defined
that way represent clusters of orthologues. There may still be cases
with multiple human genes, but you are guaranteed that they arose after
diverging from some other genes.

Hope this helps,
Matthieu