[ensembl-dev] VEP RSid mergers

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri May 24 10:43:07 BST 2013

Hi Duarte,

dbSNP have fixed this entry since we imported it. The next time we import
from dbSNP the merge will be picked up and the higher rs will be given as a
synonym for the lower.

There's no existing flag, but you could process the data with a plugin.
Existing variants are cached on the variation feature object.

There is a need for caution here - for example, if a deletion and a SNP are
co-located, you won't be able to distinguish between the two based on the
rsID alone; you should use --check_alleles to ensure that the VEP only
reports an existing variation if the alleles match exactly to your input.

Regards

Will