[ensembl-dev] VEP Perl Sript, Perl version

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri May 24 09:48:26 BST 2013

Hi Gregory,

In theory you shouldn't encounter any issues using anything above 5.8.8,
but the highest version on which it has been tested under Windows is 5.14.2.

If you have the choice, I'd go for 5.14.4, since 5.16 and 5.18 may have
language features or deprecations that have the potential to cause problems.

>From personal experience, I'd recommend using Cygwin anyway above any other
options on Windows - other users have reported issues with using local
cache files when using ActiveState perl.

Hope this helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation