[ensembl-dev] VEP feature request - different plugin and cache folder locations

LAW Andy andy.law at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Wed May 15 11:55:40 BST 2013

Or you could just throw in a quick, optional  pair of -dir_cache/-dir_plugins flags, add a quick USAGE response to the script and have everything self-contained and logical for normal people to use?

:o}

On 15 May 2013, at 11:50, Andy Yates <ayates at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Duarte,
>
> You can also modify ENV variables just before program execution so there's need to alter your system PERL5LIB or to run the VEP script with a perl interpreter e.g.
>
> PERL5LIB=/path/to/modules:$PERL5LIB ./variant_effect_predictor.pl
>
> Andy
>
> Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
> EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
> Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/
>
> On 15 May 2013, at 11:46, Duarte Molha <duartemolha at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> However I think it would be neater if the plugin location argument was included.
>> But I understand it there are other priorities. In my way of working I like to keep the PERL5LIB argument only for system modules and dependencies and I like to be able to control all the script workflow and data from arguments parsed in the script itself.
>>
>> But I understand if you feel that this is not necessary (because it isn't) ... It is probably me just being a bit  OCD about it :-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Duarte
>>
>> =========================
>>     Duarte Miguel Paulo Molha
>>         http://about.me/duarte
>> =========================
>>

>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Will McLaren <wm2 at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> You can easily enough add directories to your INC by using:
>>
>> perl -I /path/to/modules variant_effect_predictor.pl
>>
>> This is how I maintain various head and branch installations of the Ensembl API when testing code.
>>
>> Will
>>

>> On 15 May 2013 11:31, Duarte Molha <duartemolha at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I much preferred to have a way of specifying it on the arguments. Yes we could use the PERL5LIB... but I was thinking more in terms of being able to quickly change from production ready plugins to testing plugins by specifying a different location.
>>
>> If you wish to maintain backwards compatibility I suggest that to keep the –dir argument as an overriding argument (if present the script expects both cache and plugins in the same directory) and add only 1 additional argument --dir_plugins
>>
>> if you want to specify a different location.
>>
>> I personally prefer to to have control over my run environment without having to be dependent on the system path environment and can be different for different users, servers,etc...
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Duarte
>>

>> =========================
>>     Duarte Miguel Paulo Molha
>>         http://about.me/duarte
>>

>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Will McLaren <wm2 at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Duarte,

> [...]

Later,

Andy
--------
Yada, yada, yada...

Disclaimer: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.