[ensembl-dev] VEP error: Forked process failed.

Guillermo Marco Puche guillermo.marco at sistemasgenomicos.com
Tue May 14 07:37:37 BST 2013

Hello,

I'm not really sure which one of those plugins is causing the fork
error. I cannot recreate it now running each one of them separately.

Here are both:

https://github.com/guillermomarco/vep_plugins_71

They also slow the calculating consequences process a lot.
aa_grantham_distance.pm is just a hardcoded plugin from one of the
biologists in my work. It was just a pure copy paste and adaptation to
make it work as a VEP plugin. Maybe the problem is in the matrix
definition every time the sub routine is called. I'm not running out of
memory nor CPU. I'm currently using it with 2 threads and buffersize of
500 for a 5000 variant vcf file.

I'm my honest opinion, I think one (or even both) of those plugins are
slowing so much the calculating process that sometimes the fork just
dies. Like when you have a timeout during to heavy network traffic. So
when you use them together with lot of other plugins like Condel,
Consequence, etc.. they may be causing the process to handle and die.

Best regards,
Guillermo.