[ensembl-dev] VEP - method to verify the result

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 6 09:40:22 GMT 2013

Hello,

A simple way would be to look at the end of the result file using tail on
the command line.

With the default options set, you should see at least one line of output
for each line of input. So, if you compare the identifier or sequence
position from the last line of the result file to the last line of your
input file, if they are the same you can assume that the run has finished
OK.

You could also count the number of unique variants in the output file:

grep -v # variant_effect_output.txt | cut -f 1 | uniq | wc -l

And compare that to the number of lines in your input file.

I would also recommend monitoring the status output from the VEP as it runs
- when it finishes successfully you should see something like:

2013-03-04 14:49:29 - Processed 37 total variants (2 vars/sec, 2 vars/sec
total)
2013-03-04 14:49:29 - Finished!

Regards

Will McLaren