[ensembl-dev] algorithm of FindSplitGenesOnTree

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 20:31:54 GMT 2013

Dear Pengcheng Yang,

The FindSplitGenesOnTree module, as long as the FindCoreRegionLength,
FindPartialGenesOnTree and FindSingleGenesOnTree modules, are part of an
ongoing project to identify partial / split genes. These modules are not
yet used in our production pipelines.

We are currently using
Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::RunnableDB::ProteinTrees::FindContiguousSplitGenes (which
contains more comments).

Right after the multiple alignment step, we search, in every tree, pairs
of genes from the same species that satisfy one of the two conditions:
  - The two sequences do not overlap at all, and the genes are close to
each other (less than 1 Mb), with at most 1 gene in between
  - The two sequences slightly overlap, and the genes are consecutive in
the genome and less than 500 kb apart

All those pairs are grouped under "split_gene" nodes in the gene trees,
and tagged as "contiguous_gene_split" homologies.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Matthieu