[ensembl-dev] Ensembl Genomes BLAST: Parsing failed ERROR

ek ek at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 13:38:43 GMT 2013

On 2013-03-05 10:13, Rafael Hernández wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So if I want to use BLAST in my LOCAL Ensembl Genome, Should the
> machine be connected to internet to access to EBI Blast service?
>
> Then, I've got a big trouble because the machine won't be connected
> to internet...
> But Why for Ensembl is it possible to use local NCBI Blast and for EG
> not?
you can use local NCBI blast but then you would need to take the blast
db configuration options from the EG ini files

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/services/sss/wu_blast_soap

> I could try to change the scripts to use a local version of wu_blast
> instead the web services however wu_blast sources (as far as I know)
> are not available for downloading since all rights were acquired by
> Advanced Biocomputing. There is any place where I can find a open
> version of wu-blast?
>
> Another option could be use NCBI Blast without the BLAST plugin (as
> Ensembl does), but then EG Blastview fails and I've got again the
> problem of empty comboboxes.....

you can try to remove
eg-plugins/blast/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/BlastView/MetaDataBlast.pm and see
if it works for you

or modify the file to use the sensitivity options of ncbi blast

you can see what has been changed for EG blast by

  diff modules/EnsEMBL/Web/BlastView/MetaDataBlast.pm
eg-plugins/blast/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/BlastView/MetaDataBlast.pm

cheers

Eugene