[ensembl-dev] External_name

Magali mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 31 09:23:22 BST 2013

Hi Ed,

For ensembl objects (Gene, Transcript, Translation), we have external
references which are mappings from our models to external sources like
Uniprot or HGNC.
These can be seen under the 'External references' tab on the gene and
transcript pages.

For each object, if we have a trusted external reference, we also use
this as a display name.
Trusted sources are HGNC, MGI, RGD, ZFIN_ID, Uniprot gene name,
EntrezGene, RFAM and miRBase.
This is the name which you will see on the left of the ensembl stable id.

For our major species, there should always be a display name, but for
some species with less data, we can not always assign a name.
In those cases, you will only see the stable id.

Hope that helps,
Magali