[ensembl-dev] REST Service and Ontology

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 30 15:30:42 BST 2013

Hi Sarah,

The ontology endpoint helps you retrieve terms from our parsed OBO ontology database. You can think of it as a publicly accessible record of our view on an ontology for a given release. GO terms are linked to translations as refs. They can be accessed via the /xrefs/id/:id endpoint e.g.

http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/xrefs/id/ENST00000288602.json?external_db=GO;all_levels=1

The external_db param is set to GO meaning we just want GO xrefs. all_levels means we will query both the transcript & linked translations for this type of xref. Once you have a GO term you can use the ontology endpoint to get more information such as description, parents & children e.g.

http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/ontology/id/GO:0000186.json

Hope this helps & thanks for the kind words :)

Andy

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/