[ensembl-dev] Chromosome-HGNC mapping

Emily Pritchard emily at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jul 19 09:06:09 BST 2013

Hi Monica

Yes, you can do that.

Use fetch_by_external_id in the gene_adaptor module to get genes from
our database using HGNC or RefSeq IDs:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/core-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1DBSQL_1_1GeneAdaptor.html#a940d6dc7e9273ad373a23eb563a455e6

Then you can use commands from the Gene module to get various bits of
information:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/core-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Gene.html

You may wish to use seq_region_name, seq_region_start and seq_region_end
to get coordinates, while get_all_Exons and get_all_Transcripts will
give you exons and transcripts respectively.

Hope this helps

Emily
Ensembl Outreach