[ensembl-dev] Bulk download of Microarray Probe mapping via MySQL

njohnson njohnson at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 10:20:03 BST 2013

Hi Alex

I have now checked in the following script and supporting module to the cvs HEAD:

	ensembl-functgenomics/scripts/export/dump_array_annotations.pl
	ensembl-functgenomics/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Funcgen/Utils/DBAdaptorHelper.pm

You should be able to drop these into your checkout of the code (unless you are using an archaic version of the API).

For HuGene-1_0-st-v1 the features dump took about 3 mins, and the xrefs dump took about 7 mins.

The -features dump is in bed format, although it does not use the score conventionally, this is actually the number of mismatches (hence usescore=0 in the track line). This could be changed with a mysql function to parse the cigar_line hash, but I though that was over-kill for now (and thought you  might appreciate access to this now).

The -xrefs dump is a simple tab delimited file of:

	probe/set name
 	array name(s)
	dbprimary_acc (i.e. the Ensembl stable ID)
	display_label (transcript display label e.g. HUGO etc),
	linkage_annotation (free text describing the quality of the annotation)

If the -merged option is specified the dumps will be non-reundant, and the (array/probe) name fields will contain a comma separated list where appropriate, one for each for each array. This is necessary due to the differing names some probe have across AFFY arrays and the redundancy of probesets across array designs within the same class.

Please get in touch if you have any questions.

Nathan Johnson
Ensembl Regulation
European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus