[ensembl-dev] Warnings when running VEP INSTALL script

Aaron Day-Williams Aaron.Day-Williams at biogenidec.com
Tue Jan 22 20:29:13 GMT 2013

Hi,

I've updated my API installations to release 70 and downloaded and am installing the VEP v2.8.  When I run the INSTALL.pl script in the VEP tarball I get the following warnings:

Checking for installed versions of the Ensembl API...
Use of bare << to mean <<"" is deprecated at /ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/Utils/VEP.pm line 48.
Use of bare << to mean <<"" is deprecated at /ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/Utils/VEP.pm line 56.
Argument "use Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry;\nuse Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation..." isn't numeric in left bitshift (<<) at /ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/Utils/VEP.pm line 67.
Argument "use File::Path;# qw(make_path);\n=======\nuse File::Path..." isn't numeric in left bitshift (<<) at /ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/Utils/VEP.pm line 67.
Done

Is this something on my end or something in the VEP.pm module that needs to be fixed?

Thanks,

Aaron