[ensembl-dev] Variant Effect Predictor --gene option not working

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 13:17:32 GMT 2013

Hello Sebastien,

Thanks for the detailed report.

I think the problem may be caused by using an older version of the API. The
latest version of the script (2.7) should be used with version 69 of the
Ensembl API.

If you need to use version 66 of the API (for example if you are unable to
upgrade the database you are using), you should use the appropriate script
version with this. You can see which versions go together here:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/variation/vep/vep_script.html#download

As an aside, you may find that the latest version of the VEP gives you
everything you need in the cache files available from us without having to
use a local database. However, of course if you are using a local database
for custom annotations, you should continue to do so.

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation