[ensembl-dev] REPOST Retrieving VegaID XRefs

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 10:53:48 GMT 2013

Hi Trevor,

So to answer your questions:

1). The database types OTTG and OTTT are used to flag alternative genes/transcripts and so are linked only to genes and transcripts. It is these xrefs which are used to flag the alternatives in the web interface on gene and transcript summary pages.

2). The Vega_% databases are the import of data from Vega and are used to bring in alternative display symbols and xrefs to the vega database. These exist on the transcript and protein levels & not the gene level

So yes to capture the vega link from all object levels use both types. If you want to do the association from genes & transcripts then you're safe to use just the OTT external db names.

Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion & long wait for a reply

Andy

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/