[ensembl-dev] Very long branch lengths in Compara gene trees

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 22:05:59 GMT 2013

Hi Greg

The gene trees are build with TreeBest, which ships in a version of
PhyML, and PhyML has a few constants in it. One of them is the maximum
branch length, and is 1e5.

I think you can indeed conclude that the gene or the group of gene under
that long branch is not at the correct position in the tree. We are
investigating re-inserting those genes with tools like RAxML-EPA (or others)

Hope this helps,
Matthieu