[ensembl-dev] Question Regarding VEP script warnings and --html option

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 12:02:11 GMT 2013

Hi Mathias,

The error is occurring because there's something odd about your VCF file, I
think.

The first warning, ($data[4] is uninitialized), happens because the 5th
column (the alternate allele, ALT) of your VCF line is not present - this
usually means that there are fewer than 5 columns of data on that
particular line, or the delimiter between the columns (space or tab) is not
present or corrupted somehow.

VEP expects at least the first 5 columns of the VCF (CHR, POS, ID, REF,
ALT) to be populated or to have a null "." value - have a check of your VCF
file to make sure that it looks OK. The vcftools package has a tool called
vcf-validator which you can use to validate the format of VCF files, see
http://vcftools.sourceforge.net/docs.html

Currently it's not possible to produce HTML (--html) and VCF (--vcf) output
- to see the HTML output, remove --vcf from your command line. If you want
the VCF output as well, you'd have to do that in a separate VEP run. If you
intended to indicate that the input format was VCF, you should use
"--format vcf".

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation