[ensembl-dev] ids from older versions of Ensembl.

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri ak4 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 23:14:15 BST 2013

Hi,

I just want to point out that if a stable ID has changed it most likely
mean that the underlying sequence of the object (transcript, exon, etc.)
has changed or that its composition (number of exons for transcripts, or
its transcipts for genes) has changed, either as a result of a change in
the annotation (reannotated using different parameters, method etc.) or
as a result of a new assembly.

Therefore, the thing that previsouly had the stable ID "X", which now
is named "Y" (or "X.2" or whatever) is likely different from the thing
that you called "X" before.  It is possible that it's still a similar
sequence, but it *is* different.  If it was not different, it would
still be called "X".

If this matter to you, you need to look at the sequence (or the
supporting features) to make sure that you're still dealing with the
same or at least equivalent things as before.

This is true for at least the main Ensembl project.

Cheers,
Andreas (Ensembl Genebuild)