[ensembl-dev] Port Changes for ensembldb.ensembl.org and useastdb.ensembl.org

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 26 08:55:54 BST 2013

Dear all,

You may have noticed that release 71 saw us make useastdb.ensembl.org accessible on port 3306 alongside the traditional Ensembl DB port 5306. This is in response to comments from users that many institutions & businesses do not allow access to remote resources on non-standard port numbers. The older 5306 was such a non-standard port number. We are beginning a migration which will see Ensembl host current release databases on the default MySQL port 3306 alongside 5306 [1]. The current 3306 database (releases older than 48) will move to 4306.

Please see below for the migration plan:

Release 71:
~~~~~~~~~~~

* DONE - useastdb.ensembl.org will be hosted on ports 3306 and 5306

Post 71:
~~~~~~~~

* DONE - ensembldb.ensembl.org's current 3306 database (Ensembl releases older than 48) will move to 4306 (transition co-hosting period on 3306 during migration).

Release 72:
~~~~~~~~~~~

* ensembldb.ensembl.org's 3306 and 5306 ports will point to Ensembl releases newer than 47

* 47 and older will be available from 4306

* Ensembl's Registry API object will use 3306 for connections to releases newer than 47

Prior to release 48 we hosted our databases on 3306. Release 48 saw an upgrading of our MySQL deployment platform from v4 to v5 (http://lists.ensembl.org/ensembl-dev/msg03424.html). This necessitated the deployment of two servers; 3306 hosting MySQL v4 databases & 5306 hosting v5 databases. This process sees us returning to our original hosting pattern of making our latest releases available on 3306.

Should you have anymore questions please do not hesitate to get in contact.

All the best,

Andy

[1] This co-hosting option ensures as many existing scripts with hard-coded dependencies on port 5306 will continue to work. The Registry will be changed for release 72 to use 3306 in preference.

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/