[ensembl-dev] Huge branch lengths in gene trees

Javier Herrero jherrero at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 07:37:48 BST 2012

Dear Sébastien

Indeed, that is an upper branch length limit set by TreeBeST. This
family is especially difficult to resolve as it contains essentially 3
types of genes: full length, N-terminal part only or C-terminal part
only. As such, many pairs of genes do not overlap at all in the
alignment. As you can imagine, it is very difficult for the phylogenetic
reconstruction algorithm to address these families.

We are working on a couple of developments that might help in those
situations. We will let you know more if we make any progress.

Javier

--
Javier Herrero, PhD
Ensembl Coordinator and Ensembl Compara Project Leader