[ensembl-dev] Git

Pablo Marin-Garcia pablo.marin at uv.es
Tue Oct 2 19:14:19 BST 2012

On 02/10/2012 19:50, Dan Bolser wrote:
> Sorry for coming late to the discussion, especially as I've nothing
> concrete to add, but here it is anyway ;-)
>
> Horses weren't broken when Ford created the Model T. Cars are just
> better than horses. I think the Ensembl code base, like many others,
> would benefit from a more distributed development environment, which
> git supports better than cvs. Weather or not Ensembl has lots of
> external contributors, Ensembl is a highly distributed project, so
> anything that helps support that model should be a benefit.
>
> Just my 0.12p ;-)
>
> If people are curious, here is a git / svn command equivalence
> document (svn is like a good version of cvs):
> * http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
>
> and here is the best git tutorial I've seen (generic, although written
> for a specific project):
> * http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/devel/html/docs/project/git_terminology.pod.html
> * https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/docs/project/git_workflow.pod
>

> Cheers,
> Dan.
>
> On 11 September 2012 18:22, Paul Flicek <flicek at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Matthew, Ken and others,
>>
>> These are useful data points for us especially when there are similar project to Ensembl that have made the change.
>>
>> We of course, have a lot of history using CVS and we understand how it works for our needs.  This doesn't mean that we would never change only that we don't necessary set out to change things that work.
>>
>> I do think that it is also useful to point out that the purpose of Ensembl is fundamentally to create useful and up to date genome resources :)  If the tools that we are using are adequate to the tasks that we need, we are very likely to keep on using them.  Of course, when the tools are getting in the way of what we are trying to do, there is some urgency to change.
>>
>> We will discuss this at one of our next internal operations meetings.  If we do decide to change, the dev list will be among the first groups to know.
>>

>> Paul

Hello Dan, Paul et al.

I am a git fan and for several years I put under git every new ensembl
release (some of them even in github) in order to be able to branch it
easily and this helps me a lot to see quickly what has been changed
between releases and integrate my changes to the new release. This is a
pain with CVS.

I don't want to enter in the discussion of whether ensembl should use or
not git inside the project but I would like to bring into your
consideration the possibility of adding to github an official git branch
of the release. Then the rest of us can branch from it instead each one
uploading our ensembl copies to github or similar increasing our CO2
footprint uselessly.

PD: VEP-plugins is already there and there are some git-addicts inside
ensembl so the knowledge is already there.

Cheers

   -Pablo

Pablo Marin-Garcia, PhD
UNIDAD DE GENOTIPADO Y DIAGNOSTICO GENETICO
FUNDACIÓN INVESTIGACIÓN CLÍNICO DE VALENCIA-INCLIVA
Avda. BLASCO IBAÑEZ Nº 17
46010 VALENCIA
SPAIN

TELF. 963864976