[ensembl-dev] Question regarding the fetching if gene info using external names

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 16:16:10 GMT 2012

Hi Duarte,

This is not possible to do since we have not imported this symbol into Ensembl which looks to be a bug in our xref pipeline. Our major source of HGNC mappings comes from the following URL:

http://www.genenames.org/cgi-bin/hgnc_downloads.cgi?title=Genew+output+data&col=gd_hgnc_id&col=gd_app_sym&col=gd_app_name&col=gd_prev_sym&col=gd_aliases&col=gd_pub_eg_id&col=gd_pub_refseq_ids&col=md_eg_id&col=md_refseq_id&col=gd_pub_ensembl_id&col=md_prot_id&col=gd_lsdb_links&status=Approved&status=Approved+Non-Human&status_opt=3&=on&where=&order_by=gd_hgnc_id&limit=&format=text&submit=submit&.cgifields=&.cgifields=status&.cgifields=chr

The association you have highlighted is also in this file. It seems that for some reason we have not recorded this link. We will register a bug about this and will be able to feed back once it is fixed.

For the moment you can use HGNC's biomart to provide the symbol -> ENSG lookup as we look into what has gone wrong

Andy