[ensembl-dev] Upgrade the mail-list

Duarte Molha Duarte.Molha at ogt.co.uk
Tue May 8 15:17:42 BST 2012

Maybe this is not the best place to make this request... but it is now 2012 and there have been great advances in technologies that have superseded email mailing lists.
Could we not transfer this wonderful mailing list to a more 21 century friendly format?

I am sure you probably get a lot of duplicated questions that take your time away from development just to answer some simple queries that have shown up time and time again.

A new medium (with better search and collaboration features) would be very welcome by us users and I am sure by you as developers.

I think these are the main features we would all welcome:

1)      Search and tag capabilities

2)      Realtime Q&A

3)      Some sort of social integration (not facebook PLEASE)

4)      Exportable (it need be) and backupable (if that is even a word :) )

I know that probably there are some licensing issues to be overcome but the increase in productivity would probably offset most of the initial pain.

I would love to know your opinion on this.

Best regards,

Duarte Molha