[ensembl-dev] why is NEFL ENSG00000104725 ENST00000221169 annotated as "No protein product"?

Matthew Astley mca at sanger.ac.uk
Tue May 8 10:55:05 BST 2012

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 12:30:27PM -0700, Michael Yourshaw wrote:

> This issue came up when the variant effect predictor failed
> recognize a Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease variant in NEFL
> (neurofilament, light polypeptide) as as a coding variant.
>
> Gene ENSG00000104725 transcript ENST00000221169 is annotated as "No
> protein product” by Ensembl.

In short, it seems likely there is a genomic sequencing error
affecting the CDS.

> On Ensembl the prediction method is given as "Manual annotation
> (determined on a case-by-case basis) from the Havana project”.

I asked an annotator about this (thanks Mark).

The GRC has a ticket[1] on this clone, which you can see by switching
on the "GRC region NCBI_37" DAS track[2] in Ensembl.

> The gene is annotated as protein coding by UniProt, RefSeq, and
> UCSC. CCDS apparently recognizes the mouse flavor of the gene but
> not the human.

There is another transcript in our database which is marked so it will
not be published, because of this genomic sequence issue.

I will open a helpdesk ticket in your name with Havana, in case there
is more to be said about it.

hth,
--
Matthew