[ensembl-dev] Ensembl Compara genomic_align/genomic_align_block Table

Javier Herrero jherrero at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 08:54:28 BST 2012

Dear Will

We have moved level_id from the genomic_align to the genomic_align_block
table. This value is used for the lastz-net alignments. One particular
net represents a set of chains that are in the same order and
orientation. The main nets are on level 1. In the gaps left between the
chains, you can sometimes find other chain and use them to define
smaller nets. You can think of those like an insertion in a long
syntenic block. These secondary nets are on level 2. You can find more
complex structures, resulting in nets in deeper levels. You can set the
value to 1 if level_id is not relevant in your case.

node_id is a link from genomic_align to genomic_align_tree. It is used
for the EPO multiple alignments, where we use a tree to relate the
sequences. If you don't use genomic_align_trees, you can leave this as a
NULL.

Visible has been added to better handle self-alignments. When building
self-alignments, you can get redundant alignments. We use this flag to
handle those cases and make sure the API returns what you expect. If you
don't use self-alignments, you can set all the visible flags to true (1).

Kind regards

Javier