[ensembl-dev] Understanding Transcripts.

William Spooner william.spooner at eaglegenomics.com
Wed Jun 6 21:44:17 BST 2012

Hi Allan,

Please see comments inline…

On 6 Jun 2012, at 09:33, Allan Kamau wrote:

> Thank you Andy for your reply.
> I am interested in human genes and in my case a gene specified by
> entrezGene as I take entrezGene Ids then I query for transcripts from
> Ensembl using the ensembl API.
>

> If I understand correctly.
>
> 1 /
> A gene is either a protein structure or a RNA structure that that does
> something in the cell. A gene is defined by its function and not
> strictly it's structure/chemical composition.

In Ensembl terms, a gene is a genomic locus from which RNA is transcribed. Function is not implied. I.e. genes are defined by genomic location _not_ function.

> This means that several
> independent protein structures or RNA sequence based structures
> performing very similar function may each be termed as the same gene.
> For example if gene "A" is observed to have some well defined
> phenotype characteristics, then all protein structures and or RNA
> sequence based structures having these characteristics can each be
> termed as instances of gene "A".
>
> 2 /
> For humans several transcripts may yield a independent instances of a
> particular gene individually.

No - several transcripts may yield independent instances of a particular protein, but if the transcripts are transcribed from different genomic locations (which is entirely possible), then they are from different genes.

> If the above understanding is correct, is it possible to have a
> protein structure and a RNA based structure each having the same
> phenotype characteristics and therefore yielding a instances of the
> same gene. I am asking this because a manual query using gene
> "ENSG00000133997" did match some transcripts based on exons (and
> produce a protein product) and some transcripts based on introns (not
> producing any protein product).

The gene in Ensembl is the locus. A single locus can result in multiple transcripts (RNAs) with different functions.

I hope that helps,

Will

> Allan.
>

> On 6/5/12, LAW Andy <andy.law at roslin.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Allan,
>>
>> This all depends on what you mean by "gene".
>>
>> I think the common understanding is that a "gene" is a piece of the genome
>> that does "stuff". There are (protein) coding genes and there are non-coding
>> (RNA) genes. They are bits of the genome that get transcribed into RNA (into
>> transcripts).
>>
>> There may be (and often are) more than one transcript from a given "gene".
>> These different transcripts arise from either variations in splicing
>> (transcript A may have exons 1, 2 and 3 whereas transcript B may have exons
>> 1, 3 and 4), from differential use of multiple transcription start sites
>> (often one start site is active in one set of cell types/tissues and a
>> different start site is active in a separate set of tissues) or from
>> different transcription end sites.
>>
>> A transcript is thus something that is transcribed from the "gene". One gene
>> may have many transcripts. A given transcript only comes from one gene (this
>> is a one-to-many (gene-to-transcript) relationship).
>>
>> In general, in Eukaryotes, a coding transcript will give rise to a single
>> protein product. I believe that there are examples where this is not
>> strictly true in that one transcript may have alternate translation start
>> sites, but I'm not confident enough of this to be able to give you an
>> example. In Prokaryotes, multiple protein products can be derived from a
>> single transcript.
>>
>> Hope that helps some.
>>

>> On 5 Jun 2012, at 10:10am, Allan Kamau wrote:
>>
>>> I am still struggling to understand the transcript data in relation to
>>> a Gene, to simplify my preceding question, I would to ask.
>>> 1)Is a transcript strictly a pre-step to a variant of gene.
>>> 2)Is there a one to one relationship between a transcript and the