[ensembl-dev] Release 65 - "cigar_line" exception when calling get_SimpleAlign on homology object

Javier Herrero jherrero at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 17:01:31 GMT 2012

Hi Giuseppe

After some investigation, it would appear that this affects a new type
of homologies we have added in Ensembl 65. These are relationships
between the genes on the reference assembly and their matching version
on the haplotypes and assembly patches (this affect the human genome
only). Strictly speaking, these are no homologies, but that information
fits well in that part of the compara schema.

These data are stored as ENSEMBL_PROJECTIONS (this is the
method_link_type). In the homology object, they are classified as either
projection_unchanged or projection_altered ($homology->description). To
resolve your problem, I'd suggest you ignore the projections. This might
work for you:

next if ($homology->description =~ /^projection/)

We will look into ways to improve this. At the very least, the API
should not return such error.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Javier

--
Javier Herrero, PhD
Ensembl Coordinator and Ensembl Compara Project Leader