[ensembl-dev] variation database usage

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 10:45:07 GMT 2012

Hi Hardip,

You may find it easier to use the VEP for this as it wraps up a lot of
the functionality you are interested in already. You could get it to
check for phenotypes by creating a bed file or similar of
phenotype-associated loci, tabix indexing it and using it as a custom
data source for the VEP (see
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/variation/vep/vep_script.html#custom).

The VEP can also compare to existing variations, and their alleles,
using --check_existing and --check_alleles.

If you do want to continue with the API, here's some code that should
get you started - I'm assuming you have your VF object created in
$new_vf, and that you are connected to the database already.

Cheers

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation

# attach a slice to the VF, it probably doesn't have one
my $sa = $reg->get_adaptor("human","core","slice");
my $slice = $sa->fetch_by_region("chromosome", $new_vf->{chr});
$new_vf->{slice} = $slice;

# get overlapping existing VFs from the variation database by fetching
from the feature slice of the new VF
foreach my $existing_vf(@{$new_vf->feature_Slice->get_all_VariationFeatures}) {

  # compare alleles
  print "New alleles!\n" if $new_vf->allele_string ne
$existing_vf->allele_string;

  # get phenotype annotations via the variation object
  foreach my $va(@{$existing_vf->variation->get_all_VariationAnnotations}) {
     print $existing_vf->variation_name, " is associated with
phenotype ", $va->phenotype_description, "\n";
  }
}