[ensembl-dev] Is D. melangostar Ensembl DNA is the same as BDGP assembly release 5/dm3?

Karyn Megy kmegy at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 09:26:33 GMT 2012

Hi Sergei,

> In the D. melanogaster page it says
> (http://uswest.ensembl.org/Drosophila_melanogaster/Info/Index/):
>
> "The genomic sequence is based on BDGP assembly release 5 (April 2006)".
>
> I assume "based" mean that there changes in Ensembl DNA in Ensembl
> compare to BDGP R5/dm3 from Apr. 2006?

We don't change anything to the assembly, or to the set of genes, we just map additional features.
We will change the wording to make it clearer.

> In the drop-down menu, where "Previous assemblies" are, it is possible
> to choose BDGP5.25, BDGP5.13 etc. and if I click on "Download Fruitfly
> genome sequence" then I see that files have BDGP5.65 in their names.

Note that if you select another assembly/gene build, you need to click on "Go to archive" to be able to see data for this assembly.

The name "BDGP5.65"  means:   Berkley Drosophila Genome Project, '5' is the assembly, '65' is the Ensembl release, as you guessed.

The name should also have contained '25', for the genebuild  (see previous release: ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-64/fasta/drosophila_melanogaster/dna/  -->  "Drosophila_melanogaster.BDGP5.25.63.dna.chromosome.2L.fa.gz") - we will fix this for the next release. It's just a naming issue, no data have changed.

I hope it helps. Don't hesitate to contact us if you would like more details.

Best regards,
Karyn.

--
              Karyn Megy, PhD