[ensembl-dev] rRNA genes

Giulietta gspudich at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 13:29:21 BST 2012

Hello Sergei,

You can find the rRNA genes with BioMart.  The tool is here:

http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview

I set up a query as follows:
Database: Ensembl Genes 68
Dataset: Mus musculus genes (GRCm38)

Filters: Expand the GENE panel
Select 'Gene type' 'rRNA'

Clicking 'Count' shows me there are 339 Ensembl rRNA genes in the latest
mouse genome.  Add columns to the output table as such:

Click 'Attributes'
Expand the 'GENE' panel
In addition to the default selections ('Ensembl Gene ID' and 'Ensembl
Transcript ID'), add 'Associated Gene Name', 'Gene Start (bp)', and
'Gene end (bp)'

Click 'Results'.  Click 'Go' to export a full result file.

You will see all the rRNA genes in the output file - including 5S and 5.8S.

We do have an online tutorial for BioMart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXPaBdPM2vs&feature=share&list=PLA5333E28D1193B6B

This can also be done using the Core Perl API:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/index.html#api

I hope this helps?

Best wishes,
Giulietta