[ensembl-dev] coordinate-system 'group' versus 'chromosome'

Karyn Megy kmegy at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 11:58:19 BST 2012

Dear Trevor,

For Dr.pseudoobscura we kept the nomenclature from the import source (FlyBase).

According to their website, the "assembly contains complete chromosome sequences (chr2 and chr3), linkage groups (chr4_group*, chrXL_group* and chrXR_group*), and a concatenation of unplaced contigs (chrU)".  I suspect "linkage groups" are sections of the assembly that are known to be on chr.4, for example, but that their order is unknown.

See:
	http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgGateway?clade=insect&org=D.+pseudoobscura&db=0&hgsid=58880251
and
	http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=dp3&chromInfoPage=

Note that this only reefers to the assembly, not the annotation.

For this species the karyotype is not available.

I hope that helps,
Karyn.