[ensembl-dev] canonical transcript

Amonida Zadissa amonida at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 15:23:08 BST 2012

Hi Sung,

Just adding more information to Andy's description on how we choose a
canonical transcript for a gene.

We take the longest CCDS model in each gene, if none available then the
longest coding Ensembl-Havana merged transcript is chosen. If no merged
transcript is present, we take the longest coding transcript regardless
of their source; this can be either an Ensembl or a Havana transcript.
Finally, if there are no coding transcripts in the gene, the longest
non-coding transcript is selected.

Hope this helps,
Amonida

--