[ensembl-dev] Branch lengths for Ensembl Species Tree in Phylowidget

Javier Herrero jherrero at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 09:23:40 BST 2012

Dear Alison

The branch lengths are based on a mixture of an estimation based on 4D
sites and an estimation based on million years since the divergence of
two species (the data are taken from www.timetree.org).

At UCSC and Ensembl, we have agreed to use the same species tree for the
alignments. However, we do not work exactly with the same set of
species. You can find more information here:
http://genomewiki.ucsc.edu/index.php/Human/hg19/GRCh37_46-way_multiple_alignment#4D_sites_branch_length_calculations

Additional species are included in the middle of an existing branch. An
initial estimation of the branch lengths is based on the million years
since the divergence of two species, the data being taken from
www.timetree.org.

I hope this helps

Javier

On 24/04/12 17:23, Alison Wright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have accessed the Ensembl Species Tree generated for use in Phylowidget by the Compara team (which includes all the current species for the main Ensembl website, plus a few additional mammalian species of interest).
>
> However, I cant find out what the branch lengths represent (number of substitutions per site? PAM units?) and how they were calculated?
>
> Thanks very much for any help.
>
> Alison Wright

Javier Herrero, PhD
Ensembl Coordinator and Ensembl Compara Project Leader
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton
Cambridge - CB10 1SD - UK