[ensembl-dev] Question about stop codons and EnsEMBL pipeline

Marc P. Hoeppner mphoeppner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:08:44 BST 2012

Hi,

reading the recently published Gorilla genome paper, I came across a
gene that they list as having a premature stop codon - TEX14
(ENSGGOG00000011348). Checking the website and using the API to retrieve
the translateable_seq on the transcripts, it would appear that this gene
produces valid protein sequences.

My question is therefore - is there something internal to the annotation
process or API that would patch up such stop codons, perhaps assuming
that a sequencing error is a more plausible explanation? I hope that
makes sense somehow ;)

/Marc