[ensembl-dev] Confused by the target/query core database in whole genome alignment based gene build

Dan Barrell db8 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 09:43:21 BST 2012

Hi,

The document low_coverage_gene_build.txt is quite old and possibly very
out of date as we no longer build on low coverage genomes in Ensembl. As
far as I know, the reason that the semantics of the reference and target
terms got swapped is to do with the importance of directionality in a
Net. When dealing with the low coverage genomes the idea was that they
wanted the species they were projecting onto as the reference because it
is important that each bp in the target species aligns to at most one
location in the reference species.

I would suggest you also look at the Ensembl Compara documentation which
is maintained here:

ensembl-compara/docs/README-low-coverage-genome-aligner

Dan