[ensembl-dev] compara blastz coordinates

Stephen Fitzgerald stephenf at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 14:05:26 BST 2012

Hi Elena,
the reference genome is always positive(1) but the non-reference
can be positive or negative(-1):

For release 57, for example,
looking at the blastz alignments for
human (reference) vs chimp we get:

mysql> select gdb.name, ga.dnafrag_strand, count(*) from genomic_align ga
inner join dnafrag df on df.dnafrag_id = ga.dnafrag_id inner join
genome_db gdb on df.genome_db_id = gdb.genome_db_id  where
ga.method_link_species_set_id = 388 group by gdb.name, ga.dnafrag_strand;
+-----------------+----------------+----------+
| name            | dnafrag_strand | count(*) |
+-----------------+----------------+----------+
| Homo sapiens    |              1 |   691239 |
| Pan troglodytes |             -1 |    82231 |
| Pan troglodytes |              1 |   609008 |
+-----------------+----------------+----------+

and for human (reference) vs mouse:
| name         | dnafrag_strand | count(*) |
| Homo sapiens |              1 |  1510836 |
| Mus musculus |             -1 |   712736 |
| Mus musculus |              1 |   798100 |

Hope this helps,

Stephen.