[ensembl-dev] Getting full human-readable names from gene objects?

Giuseppe G. G.Gallone at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 25 16:08:19 GMT 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a quick way to get full gene names or some
form of informative string given an ensembl id and consequently a gene
object. Eg for FBgn0259246 I'm able to obtain 'brp' which is ok, however
I was looking for something more descriptive. For example flybase for
the same gene gives both 'brp', which they call "gene symbol" and
'bruchpilot', the full name. I seem to remember that the description()
method allowed to get a somewhat more informative string, however that
is highly species and origin DB dependent I guess, and for this gene it
only gives me 'CG42344 Source: FlyBase FBgn0259246'. Thanks.

Best,

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.