[ensembl-dev] exon coordinate discrepancy between NCBI and Ensembl

Paul Flicek flicek at ebi.ac.uk
Mon May 23 22:00:06 BST 2011

Hi Reece,

Thanks a lot for your kind words about Ensembl.  We definitely appreciate it.

I hope this message provides some additional useful information.  Some others in the project may chime in with other details or to correct something below.

A lot of these differences come down to what exactly these objects are.  Often people think about this in a way that confuses objects that are actually different things.  Usually this does not matter for analysis, but as you have discovered at times it does.

In this context RefSeq mRNAs are objects that exist independently of the genome.  The only acquire their coordinates when they are mapped to the genome.  They may be withdrawn or changed.  If one does not use the dot version this change could be missed.

Ensembl genes are the result of a process that integrates a host of different evidence types on the genome sequence as a substrate for the alignment of proteins, cDNAs, mRNA, etc to create transcripts.  These transcripts are merged into genes and merged with Havana manually annotated transcripts.

These processes necessarily produce some differences.  In part because there are errors in the various data sets which are eventually corrected over time.  In part because the data sets are incomplete.  In part because the process of creating each resource is fundamentally different.

Once the Ensembl gene set is created we create "external references" to the RefSeq identifiers to identify those objects that are "biologically the same".  Note however, that a RefSeq that corresponds to an Ensembl gene does not mean that these are have identical placements on the genome assembly.

We all recognise that identifying those cases where there are no differences between the sets has value for the community and this is the basis of the CCDS project.

It may seem amazing that there is not a complete, definite set of human genes, but there is not.  There are very good reasons for these differences and there is not one that is "right".  This is one reason why Ensembl, RefSeq and other resources continue to exist.

Note also that creating a catalog of the way that Ensembl and RefSeq differ will only provide a shapshot on a given date.  Both Ensembl and RefSeq update often.

Paul