[ensembl-dev] exon coordinate discrepancy between NCBI and Ensembl

Susan Fairley sf7 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon May 23 17:47:55 BST 2011

Hi Reece,

Looking at the Ensembl transcript, ENST00000360228, here:

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000141837;r=19:13317256-13617274;t=ENST00000360228

I noticed that it is one of two CCDS transcripts for the gene.

Checking the exon coordinates at NCBI for the CCDS, the structures seem
to be the same.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/CCDS/CcdsBrowse.cgi?REQUEST=CCDS&DATA=CCDS45998

Looking further at the Ensembl transcript, it is possible to see that
NM_023035.2 is one of the pieces of evidence that were aligned to the
genome and used to construct the transcript ENST00000360228 during the
Ensembl genebuild process (with the three points where the evidence
extends beyond the structure highlighted).

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/SupportingEvidence?db=core;g=ENSG00000141837;r=19:13317256-13617274;t=ENST00000360228

It is at the end of the genebuild process that external identifiers are
associated with genes, on the basis of sequence similarity. It would be
at this stage that the ID NM_023035.2 became associated with the
transcript(ENST00000360228) that it contributed to building. As I
understand things, it is not necessary for there to be an exact match
for an external ID to be associated with an Ensembl transcript.

You note that both Ensembl and NCBI map rs58729888 to the same genomic
position. As the two transcript structures you are looking at differ,
then the positions of rs58729888 in the two transcripts also differ when
viewed at the transcript level, although it is the same genomic location.

I'm not sure that this directly answers your question but I hope it may
be of some assistance.

Kind regards,
Susan.