[ensembl-dev] Effects predictor version 2

Stuart Meacham sm766 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 17 12:04:38 BST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to use the updated version of the Effects predictor (version
2). I have it running now but I came across a couple of issues:

I found it impossible to pass DB parameters to the script to define, for
example, a local version of the latest human core DB. Looking at the
code it seems that the script is expecting a 'host' parameter yet the
README states a 'db_host' parameter (the 'd' option does not work
either). Despite noticing this I still couldn't get it to work via
command line options. In fact I had a lot of trouble passing any
short-form options, instead I had to define a registry file, which
worked fine.

On running I get a warning about version numbers however I have only
just downloaded and installed the latest API libs and created the core
DB today. The warning is strange anyhow in that it states my DB version
is 62 and my software version is 63 (which I didn't think had been
released yet!).

The script silently over-writes an existing output file of the same
name, this seems a bit brutal, perhaps the default should be to fail if
the file exists.

I don't seem to get any Polyphen or Sift predictions. My command is:

perl ./variant_effect_predictor_2.pl -r reg.pl -i ./variants.txt.vcf
--format vcf -w -b 100000 --sift=p --polyphen=p --failed=0 -terms=so

and after analysing chr 1 with 360,000 variants I don't see any
predictions. Maybe this is to be expected, I'm a bit clueless about this
I'm afraid.

Cheers

Stuart